Can't insert crown into case

Hi all, assembling the “Flight” kit with the Miyota w/date movement. I’ve gotten the movement into the case, but am unable to fully insert the crown into the movement. Inserting the crown pitches up the far end of the movement, bringing it above the case back level, as if the case’s crown hole were not square to the body. The pitching happens as soon as the tapered portion of the stem contacts the movement.

I am able to attach the case back and tighten it and observe the watch run. Everything looks OK:

1. The face is level across the edges of the crystal.
  2. The second hand sweeps smoothly and doesn’t appear to be touching the crystal.
  3. Outside of the case, the crown is inserted easily and functions to wind and set time.

Attempting to insert the crown with the back tightened results in too much friction when it reaches the tapered portion. This all leads me to believe that the case is at fault here.

Here’s an album link with a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q3mPurGupRLdFEh19

Edit: looking down the crown hole, it appears that the stem hole is above the opening by almost the entire size of the hole. This suggests to me that the movement is not sitting low enough, but I’m not sure what could be at fault. I have applied pressure to the movement body but there’s no give at all – the dial appears flush against the case edges. I’m not sure how to proceed.

Just a guess. Sounds like you didn’t fully install the movement assembly into the case. The white movement holder seems to sit excessively tall when looked from the side

The issue appears to be that the movement is sitting too high, but I can’t figure out why. The crown hole on the movement is sitting about a diameter higher than the crown hole on the case.

1. The movement face is flush with the movement holder.
  2. The face edges are flush with edges of the case next to the crystal.
  3. The second hand sweeps smoothly when inserted and with the case back tightened.

There’s a noticeable gap between the movement face and the chapter ring, where the date ring is. This is about the distance that the hole is off by, but I’m not able to get the movement to sit any deeper into the holder. Does the movement need to be deep enough so that the chapter ring sits flush?

I took everything apart and reassembled it. The face is as close as it can be to the movement, spaced by a ring around the date wheel. I placed the movement and face directly into the case without the movement holder and observed that the movement is still above (toward the back of the case) the crown hole by the same amount.

Is there a different case for a movement with date? The spacing is pretty much exactly the thickness of the date ring.

Alright, I stripped the watch down a 3rd time for more pictures, and to try fitting it in the case without the hands attached.

Here you can see the movement with the dial spacing ring on it. I placed the dial into the case, then inserted the movement into it. The crown hole still does not line up (movement sitting too high by about the width of the spacer).

I think you should contact them at info@diywatch.club. They are usually quick to reply. If they find it’s a faulty case they’ll send out a replacement to you.

Btw I think your second hand needle is crooked in one of the photo, slanting to the right in the photo. You probably bent it at some point. Is it still running properly?