Help, I'm on the fence on the DIY kit

I saw this through an ad. Really intrigued by the idea. But at the same time, isn’t $200 for a kit plus a watch too good to be true?

Is there any caveat to the deal? Bad movement? Poor quality? or it’s just an unbelievably good deal?

Does anyone who have a kit have the answer to my concern?

My first impression of the kit is surprisingly positive. The movement is really Japanese Miyota movement. The case looks well finished. Dial is pretty well made too. Hands look basic, but still of a good quality. They are able to offer this at a bargain probably because of the tools. Not Swiss-made I can guarantee that. Nothing at this price can be Swiss. Perhaps cutting corner a bit here, perhaps you can get individual tools on alibaba or ebay at a lower price, but after examining them closely, they should get the job done.

It’s safe to say that this is a real bargain. At least to me.

1 Like

Appreciate the input @NickPat! Looks really tempting to me. But I’m still undecided on whether to spend 200 dollars to make a watch myself, or just buy a ready made watch. Will I screw up making the watch? It’s making me nervous

By making it yourself, the watch is worth more than just 200 bucks.

That is indeed a good point.

On the other hand, my hands aren’t the most nimble in the world… Can I really make it myself?

Well I did it myself. The video instruction is very helpful, guiding me every step of the way. I didn’t need to “figure out” anything myself. I just followed the instruction step by step and it’s done.

Maybe ask more people who have experience with the kit here before you decide? Most of us are here because we have the kit, so a lot of people should be able to answer your question