Watch Not Holding a Wind

Hi all, I recently bought and assembled the Pilot Watch DIY Watchmaking Kit. I upgraded from the Miyota 8215 to the 8315 movement. The assembly went very smoothly with no hiccups (I watched a ton of Youtube videos prior to following the DWC official assembly videos). The watch was working fine for about 2 weeks, and now it can’t hold a wind. Worried the main spring is busted, which would be an obvious disappointment.

I can be wearing the watch all day and it will maintain correct time, but might stop entirely after 30 seconds after laying on a table. It has stopped actually on my wrist a few times (sitting at my work desk). I have manually wound the watch by turning the crown clockwise for minutes and that might give me a little more time, but still usually stops within minutes. Any advice, either for the watch or for seeking a replacement movement (or refund) from DWC?

Thanks

That seems to suggest that it stops in the dial up position. I would first check if the movement still runs when removed from the case. The second hand being too high and touching the crystal is a common error. Also check if either of the hands are in contact with other elements, especially at the point when it stops running.

Thanks Bud, I suspect you were correct about the hand touching the crystal. Took it apart and reset the hands and it seems to be running much better. Cheers!

I just assembled my kit yesterday, and ran into the exact same issue. After finding this post I reset the hands and now it seems to be running fine. Thanks!

For what its worth, i had to reset the seconds hand 3 times before i got it to consistently work. Each time it would work for a bit and then the issue would return. On the last try, I might have pressed too hard (second hand is about 170 degrees when viewed horizontally, not really noticeable inside the watch), but it has been running perfectly ever since.